Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Day 4 of 30 Days of Preparation: Purging a suburban home

My husband and I are in a huge purge cycle at our current home. We raised 3 kids in a 2700 square foot house and have the stuff to prove it. 2 living room areas, 4 bedrooms, an office, a rec area in the basement, a large storage room, a full size kitchen plus a mini kitchen area,a 2.5 car garage--all of it occupied with stuff we thought we needed.

As we prepare to sell our house and downsize significantly I find myself acting like a 'stuff' dictator--walking through the house and deciding what gets to stay and what has to go.  We are not packrats, in fact I have a pretty heavy hand when it comes to getting rid of stuff already. But it's amazing how much there still is to go through.  We won't be moving for 6-7 months, but we do hope to really get through most of the downsizing in the next few months.

We plan on moving with a pickup, a small trailer (6'x10' or so), and a small car. That will really limit what we can take with us. My husband has several big garage items that will have to go, I have a wood buffet that belonged to my mom I can't leave behind, an old rodeo trunk that I refurbished when I was 16, and there is one double size bed set that I want to take. That's it for big items. And that will probably take up most of the room in the trailer. Luckily, we will have a place to store the large items when we get to Michigan.  Our other bed sets will be sold. Our living room furniture is old and we want to get rid of it anyway so all of those pieces can will be sold or thrown away. I guess that's the one good thing about all of the old stuff we have, it will feel good to get rid of it.

and just because I feel the need to add a picture--here's an embarrassing shot of the storage room. Ugh
~Tanya

Don't forget to visit the other 30 day challenge bloggers!

The Ag Blogging challenge arranged by Holly Spangler is going strong. Make sure to read her Agriculturalists Who Influence blog series!

30 Days Bloggers

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain!
    We did a huge purge prior to our move to the Valley. When we arrived here, it was quite minimalistic for a while.
    However, after 17 years, we probably need to purge again. Man, does stuff accumulate. But, I'm done moving.

    ReplyDelete